In most cases, when you are starting a personal training business, you will need to register your business name. There are several things that need to be considered.
- The exceptions: there are a few cases where you will not be required to register a business name. You will not be required to complete this step if your business name is your own personal name; if you have a registered company and the business name is the company’s name; or if your business is a partnership and the business name consists of all the partners’ names.
- You need to check that your proposed business name does not already exist. Before applying for a business name, you can check for its availability at www.connectonline.asic.gov.au or www.business.gov.au/abn.
- You need to check that nobody else is using a trade mark, logo or brand that is identical or similar to your proposed business name. Visit www.ipaustralia.gov.au for more information.
- Your business name will need to be registered through ASIC. You can register with them at www.asicconnect.asic.gov.au.
- Consider the possibility of registering your business name as a trade mark.
- If you want your business to have a “.com.au” or “.com.net” domain name, you need an ABN. Visit www.auda.org.au/domains/au-domains.